Home / National News / No active shooter found at Alabama Army base, authorities say

 

(HUNTSVILLE, Ala.) — Movements were restricted Tuesday afternoon at the Redstone Arsenal, an Army base in Huntsville, Alabama, as authorities investigated morning reports of an active shooter.

Redstone Arsenal Col. Tom Holliday confirmed Tuesday afternoon that there was no active shooter on the scene. There were no casualties in the incident as well, he said.

Around 9:40 a.m., authorities received two 911 calls about a potential active shooter in the Sparkman Center building, Holliday said. The callers reported hearing shots fired and seeing a weapon, but those reports were not credible, Holiday said.

Normal operations resumed at 12:50 p.m. after investigators determined that the incident was an isolated event at the Sparkman Center, Holliday said. The complex had been cleared by 2:15 p.m.

There is no evidence that shots were actually fired, authorities said.

Redstone spokesman Christopher Colster told reporters earlier Tuesday that there was nothing to indicate a terrorist event.

Redstone said in a statement, “The installation was in lock-down mode with all gates closed, and employees sheltered in place at their respective buildings. As of 12:30 p.m., employees can move about the post in an orderly fashion, but are asked to keep movements limited, as needed.”

Redstone said Tuesday afternoon that the “Sparkman complex and intersections in and around Martin road remain in a lock down status” while “the remainder of the installation is open for normal traffic.”

Redstone said the incident is under investigation, adding, “The safety and security of our workforce remains our top priority.”

Col. Rich Spiegel, a spokesman for Army Materiel Command said, “The director of emergency services has responded with local and federal authorities.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

Recent posts in National News