(NEW YORK) — Investigators are combing for clues to the cause of the explosion that rocked Manhattan’s Chelsea neighborhood and injured at least 29 people last night — an incident that New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday was not likely an international act of terrorism.
The explosion occurred on West 23rd Street around 8:30 p.m. in an area frequented by shoppers and diners.
A possible secondary device was located a few blocks away on 27th Street, between Sixth and Seventh avenues, the NYPD Special Operations Division said. The second device, a pressure cooker, was removed by authorities. It was in a white plastic bag with tape, wiring and a cell phone or other electronic device.
Cuomo stressed that evidence from both sites had been sent to FBI headquarters in Quantico, Virginia, for examination.
The governor added that while no international group had claimed responsibility for planting the explosive device, any bomb exploding in New York was terrorism “generically.”
“We’re not going to let them win,” Cuomo said. “We’re not going to let them instill fear.”
He said that he is in contact with New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie regarding an explosion that took place yesterday in Seaside Park, New Jersey, during a 5K race, but said that the explosive devices used were “different.” Cuomo said that the two states were sharing resources in their respective investigations.
“Everything that needs to be done is being done and more,” Cuomo said.
The 24 patients received by hospitals in connection with the blast had been treated and released by Saturday morning, hospital spokespeople told ABC News.
As part of the investigation, police are looking at surveillance video from around the scene of the blast, officials said.
Surveillance video from West 23rd Street that shows the explosion indicates to investigators that an object containing the explosive device was intentionally left next to a construction trash container.
In one video obtained by police, a man is seen crossing the street in the vicinity of where the explosive device appears to have been left. The trash container was blown clear into the street by the force of the blast.
The blast startled residents blocks away.
Chelsea resident Michelle Leifer was walking her dog in Madison Square Park when she “heard a loud boom and felt rumbling,” she told ABC News. “I wasn’t sure if it was an explosion or if a large truck had gone by. One of the park’s maintenance men came in and said he got an alert on his phone that there was an explosion on 23rd and 6th. As I was leaving the park, I saw a smoke cloud hovering in that area. Then police cars and firetrucks started streaming in.”
New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio urged any witnesses or people who may have information to come forward.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News