(NEW YORK) — A federal lawmaker is questioning the security preparedness of New York City’s largest travel hub.
In the wake of a chaotic scene that erupted at John. F. Kennedy International Airport last week after false reports of shots fired, Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., says he wants a “swift” review of the facility’s vulnerabilities.
Witnesses of the confusion-filled episode say they saw security personnel and travelers running on the tarmac.
Schumer said the probe should look at security training and inter-agency coordination. He also expressed concern about the information authorities were sharing with the public during the incident.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey has already said it will conduct a “thorough review” of what took place on Aug. 14.
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo last week called the incident “unfortunate” and said he wants a “full review of what happened.”
Two police sources told ABC News the cause may have been a 911 caller mistaking a loud celebration of Usain Bolt’s Olympic victory for something more nefarious.
Authorities say reports of shots fired shortly after 9:30 p.m. prompted an immediate shut down of a terminal.
A second terminal was also shut down and searched.
The ordeal lasted about three hours. Police found no evidence of gun shots, and no one was injured.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News