(SAN DIEGO) — A suspect has been charged and another potential suspect is in custody in a “gut-wrenching” shooting in San Diego that left one officer dead and another injured, police said.
Jesse Michael Gomez, 52, was charged with murder and attempted in the shooting, police said. The circumstances were not immediately clear.
Another potential suspect, whose name ABC News is wittholding because he has not been charged, was located for an outstanding warrant. It wasn’t determined if he was connected to the shooting or not.
It was also not clear if there were additional suspects.
The shooting happened Thursday night after two officers, both assigned to the gang unit, made a stop around 11 p.m. local time. The officers called for emergency cover and were shot multiple times, police said.
The incident happened “very quickly,” San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said, adding that it was unclear if the officers had been targeted.
The officers were wearing bulletproof vests and body cameras, she said.
The slain officer, Jonathan DeGuzman, a husband and father of two, was a 16-year police veteran. Zimmerman said he lost his life trying to make a positive difference and protect his community.
The injured officer, Wade Irwin, also a husband and father, is a 9-year veteran. He was hospitalized for surgery. Irwin was expected to make a full recovery, police said.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News