Home / National News / Case Dismissed Against Man Once Convicted of Chandra Levy Murder

 

(WASHINGTON) — A man once convicted of the murder of Washington, D.C., intern Chandra Levy will not be retried, the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia said Thursday.

The U.S. Attorney’s office moved to dismiss the case charging Ingmar Guandique with Levy’s murder after the office concluded that “it can no longer prove the murder case against Mr. Guandique beyond a reasonable doubt.”

Guandique was convicted of Levy’s murder in 2010, but his conviction was later overturned.

The U.S. Attorney’s office said Thursday it will not proceed with the retrial, saying that “recent unforeseen developments that were investigated over the past week led to this decision.”

Guandique, who had been incarcerated while awaiting retrial, will, “pending action by the Court,” be “released to the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, where he faces removal proceedings,” the U.S. Attorney’s office said.

Levy vanished in May 2001. Her remains were found the next year in Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

Recent posts in National News