(WASHINGTON) — The U.S. Capitol is locked down, according to an alert sent to congressional staff from Capitol Police.
Reports indicate that a staffer possibly entered a parking garage with a firearm.
The full alert sent at 9:08 a.m. read:
Police activity has been reported requiring occupants in the U.S. Capitol Building and Capitol Visitor Center to immediately:
• Close, lock and stay away from external doors and windows.
• Take annunciators, emergency kits and escape hoods; move to your office’s assigned shelter in place location or the innermost part of the office away from external doors or windows until USCP has cleared the incident.
• If you are not near your office, take shelter in the office nearest to you and then check in with your OEC.
• Silence mobile phones.
• The buildings are locked down. No one will be permitted to enter or exit until directed by the USCP.
• Further information will be provided as it becomes available.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News