(OMAHA, Neb.) — A funeral was held Tuesday in Nebraska for 2-year-old Lane Graves, who was killed in a gator attack at Disney World last week.
The service was scheduled at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in the Omaha neighborhood of Elkhorn.
Lane’s parents, Matt and Melissa Graves, said in a statement: “Melissa and I again want to express our gratitude to our family, friends and community for the love and support we continue to receive. We are appreciative of the news media professionals who have demonstrated integrity by allowing us much needed privacy.”
“Today we will say goodbye to Lane but we do so, comforted by so many friends and strangers who share in our loss and who have shown us profound compassion,” they added.
The deadly incident happened June 14 at the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in Orlando, Florida, when a gator snatched the boy into the water. His body was found the next day.
Disney Chairman and CEO Robert A. Iger called the Graves family last week and released a statement about the boy’s death.
“As a parent and a grandparent, my heart goes out to the Graves family during this time of devastating loss,” he said. “My thoughts and prayers are with them, and I know everyone at Disney joins me in offering our deepest sympathies.”
Disney is the parent company of ABC News.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News