Home / National News / One Firefighter Dead, 1 Critical After Maryland Shooting, Suspect in Custody


(TEMPE HILLS, Md.) — One of the two Maryland firefighters who were shot Friday night in Temple Hills, Maryland, after responding to a call, has died of his injuries, Prince George’s County officials confirmed Friday night.

The firefighter was identified by officials as John Ulmschneider, a 13-year veteran of the Prince George’s County Fire Department.

Ulmschneider “was transported in extremely critical condition to Med Star Southern Maryland Hospital Center in Clinton suffering from a gunshot wound to the upper body,” according to a statement from the Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services. “Despite the very best efforts of medics and hospital staff Ulmschneider succumbed to his injuries a short time after arriving at the hospital.

Ulmschneider was 37, and leaves behind a wife and two-year-old daughter.

The other firefighter, identified as Morningside Volunteer Fire Fighter Kevin Swain, 19, remains in critical condition after being “shot multiple times,” according to a statement from the Prince George’s County Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department, which said he was undergoing surgery, as of early Saturday morning. He “was flown from the scene by way of Maryland State Trooper 2 to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore. He was in surgery at last check and listed in Serious Condition. Swain is expected to survive his injuries.”

One male civilian, a relative of the shooter, “sustained a gunshot wound to his shoulder and transported to a local hospital for treatment,” said the statement. “He was in Fair condition.”

A suspect is in custody and talking with police, officials said. The identity of the suspect has not yet been released.

The incident began when Prince George’s County fire and police departments were called by a relative at approximately 7:30 p.m. expressing concern about a family member with a unspecified medical condition, officials said at a press conference Friday evening.

When firefighters arrived at the home in question, the resident was not responsive to the firefighters knocking on the door, so the decision was made to gain entry to the home, officials said.

Once entry was made to the home, the individual inside that they were checking on fired upon the two firefighters and the relative that phoned in the welfare check, officials said. All three were injured.

Officials said several rounds were fired by the individual in the home. No shots were fired by any law enforcement on scene.

Andrew Pantelis, president of the Prince George’s County Firefighters and Paramedics Association Local 1619, said in a written statement to his members, “This is a day that we have all dreaded in our minds. We are keenly aware of the dangers of our profession but we all have hoped that God would continue to look over and protect us. Now that tragedy has stricken us, we must not fall apart but stand strong and band together to support Skillet’s family and those who are closest to him.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Recent posts in National News