(WASHINGTON) — FBI Director James Comey said Tuesday he’s “glad” the legal fight with Apple involving an iPhone left behind by one of the San Bernardino shooters is over.
The dispute — which came to an abrupt end last month after the FBI said it found a way to break into the phone without Apple’s help — was “creating an emotion around the issue that was not productive,” Comey told law students at Catholic University in Washington, D.C.
Nevertheless, Comey said the nation must still discuss and grapple with how to balance privacy and security interests as new technologies are developed.
Citing two pending cases in New York and Boston, Comey said “there will be plenty” more cases like the San Bernardino legal dispute, noting that encryption on personal devices is now the default and “by definition it’s going to affect the work of law enforcement.”
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News