(CONCORD, N.H.) — Owen Labrie, the former New Hampshire prep school student who was convicted of sexually assaulting a classmate last August, faces a hearing Friday to determine whether his bail will be revoked for allegedly missing his curfew several times, his lawyer confirmed to ABC News.
Labrie, 20, was found guilty in August of a felony charge of using a computer to lure an underage girl into a sexual encounter, as well as three misdemeanor sexual assault charges and one misdemeanor charge of child endangerment. During the trial last year, Labrie was accused of raping a 15-year-old female student at New Hampshire’s elite St. Paul’s School in 2014.
As ABC News previously reported, Labrie was sentenced to a year in jail for those charges, but the judge has suspended the sentence while Labrie appeals the decision. Free on bail, Labrie is supposed to remain under curfew at the Tunbridge, Vermont, home of his mother between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m.
But prosecutor Catherine Ruffew said in court papers Monday that Labrie has violated curfew at least eight times.
However, Labrie’s Manchester, New Hampshire-based lawyer Jaye Rancourt disputes the allegations in an Objection to the Motion to Revoke Bail filed Thursday, which Rancourt provided to ABC News.
Rancourt argues that her client was meeting with his legal counsel and “pursuing educational endeavors” when he broke his court-mandated curfew. “In his attempt to make productive use of his time and at the same time maintain some degree of privacy, he violated this court’s order and for that he is sorry,” Rancourt wrote.
Rancourt told ABC News Thursday night, “We stand behind the statements and assertions in our Objection. We look forward to the hearing and are hoping for a good outcome for Owen.”
The hearing on the motion to revoke bail will take place at 1:30 p.m. in Merrimack County Superior Court in Concord, New Hampshire.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News