Home / National News / Kalamazoo Shooting Suspect Sues Uber for $10 Million

 

(KALAMAZOO, Mich.) —  The Uber driver accused of going on a deadly shooting rampage that killed six people and injured two in Kalamazoo, Michigan, is now suing the transportation company, according to a handwritten complaint filed Tuesday.

Jason Dalton, 45, is demanding $10 million from Uber in punitive damages, according to the complaint.

“I worked years as a Uber contractor and they ripped me off, never paid me back wages or overtime,” Dalton said in the complaint, which is dated March 11. “I busted my butt for them.”

Dalton’s grievances with Uber didn’t end there. He described the car service company as a “hostile workplace environment” that treated him like a second-class citizen. He also said Uber didn’t give him a Christmas bonus, didn’t invite him to corporate parties, made him work when he was sick and didn’t let him spend time with his two children.

“Uber treats their drivers like crap,” Dalton wrote.

Dalton also said that Uber discriminated against his “mental health” and that the company “ruined” his life.

“I’m currently in prison because of Uber,” Dalton wrote. “My wife is divorcing me because of Uber.”

Dalton ended the letter by expressing his wish for the lawsuit to be tried in front of jury. He signed the letter, “Respectfully submitted, Jason Brian Dalton.”

Dalton, a Kalamazoo resident, was arrested on Feb. 21 after allegedly going on a shooting rampage in three separate incidents the day before. He was charged with six counts of murder, two counts of assault with intent to commit murder and eight charges of using a firearm during the commission of a felony. He plead not guilty in an arraignment on Feb. 22.

Dalton’s attorney, Paul Vlachos, was not aware of the lawsuit, he told ABC News. Uber did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment.

Earlier this month, Dalton’s defense attorney had requested, and a judge ordered that Dalton undergo an examination to determine whether he is mentally competent to stand trial.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

Recent posts in National News