Home / National News / Murder Suspect in Custody After Mistaken Release in Los Angeles

 

(LOS ANGELES) — An alleged murder suspect, who was mistakenly let out of jail last week in Los Angeles, was caught in Nevada on Monday.

According to a statement from the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, Steven Lawrence Wright was taken into custody without incident at a hotel in Boulder City, Nevada after “numerous tips from the public.”

The 47-year-old was accidentally released from the Inmate Reception Center in downton Los Angeles on January 30, and the Sheriff’s Department said they were not aware of his release until later the next day. Officials offered a $20,000 reward for information leading to the suspect’s arrest.

Wright was originally arrested by the Pasadena Police Department in April 2011 and was pending trial for a gang-related murder in Pasadena earlier that year. He was found guilty of the murder in 2014, but a judge ruled the trial wasn’t fair, according to ABC News affiliate KABC-TV. Next month, the alleged murder suspect is scheduled for a preliminary hearing in a new murder trial, KABC-TV reports.

The Sheriff’s Department said Wright would not face any additional charges for the release.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

Recent posts in National News