(CHARLESTON, S.C.) — Former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager has been released from jail after a judge granted him $500,000 bond.
Slager was arrested and charged with murder in April after Charleston police investigated a cell phone video that showed the officer shooting and killing Walter Scott, a 50-year-old black man, after a traffic stop.
The 34-year-old former officer originally pulled over Scott for a broken brake light and when Slager headed back to his police car, Scott fled the scene. Slager fired his Taser and soon shot Scott several times, killing him.
Judge Clifton Newman granted the bond and assigned a trial date on Monday. He said before his ruling that “these are excruciating issues for the court to deal with.”
Slager will be confined to house arrest until his trial begins on October 31.
Slager had been in prision since his arrest in April. His trial was delayed because prosecutor Scarlett Wilson is also prosecuting Dylann Roof, the suspected shooter in the killings of nine black people at the Emanuel AME church in Charleston. Because of a state Supreme Court order, Wilson said she cannot try other cases before Roof’s.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News