(CHICAGO) — The Cook County, Illinois State’s Attorney has requested assistance from the FBI in investigating the police-involved shooting that left a 55-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man dead last week.
In a statement, state’s attorney Anita Alvarez said the incident is “currently being investigated by the Chicago Independent Police Review Authority” and that she has already requested the FBI’s involvement. “This is a deeply disturbing incident that demands a very deliberate and meticulous independent investigation,” Alvarez said.
It was not immediately clear if the FBI would offer its assistance in the case. There is no timeline for the investigation into the shooting.
ABC affiliate WLS-TV reported Thursday that hundreds of emails related to a separate officer-involved shooting, the April shooting that left teenager Laquan McDonald dead. Some of the emails released Thursday include officials discussion how to respond to requests to release police dash-cam video of that shooting.
The release of those emails comes one day after Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced changes in how the Chicago Police Department will operate. Among those changes are the presence of a stun gun in every police vehicle, and proper training for all officers, who will be mandated to use the stun gun before turning to their firearms. Emanuel also announced that any officer involved in a shooting would be give 30 days of desk duty, instead of the current three days.
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News