Home / National News / Syrian Refugee Family Settles in Indianapolis Despite Governor's Resistance

 

(INDIANAPOLIS) — As Donald Trump makes calls to prevent Muslims from entering the country, a family of Syrian refugees has arrived safely in Indianapolis to start a new life.

According to a statement from Archbishop of Indianapolis Reverend Joseph W. Tobin, the Reverend met with Indiana Gov. Mike Pence last week to talk about the relocation and discussed the Archdiocese’s Refugee and Immigrant Services program. Tobin said Pence urged him to wait until after new legislation was passed by Congress regarding entry of immigrants and refugees.

Reverend Tobin went ahead with the plans, citing reasons such as the family had fled Syria three years ago, they had underwent extensive security checks by the goverment for two years, and they also have family living in the Indianapolis area.

“We welcome this family during Advent, a time when the Christian community asks God to renew our hope and recognize God’s saving power among us,” Reverend Tobin said in a statement. “As we wait with hope during this season of Advent, I ask all people of good will to pray for peace in our homes, local communities and throughout the world.”

Pence released a statement saying he disagreed with the decision, and the security of the people of Indiana was his top priority.

However on Tuesday the governor tweeted in response to Trump’s Muslim ban, “Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional.”

“Our Constitution guarantees the free exercise of religion. The U.S. cannot discriminate on the basis of religion,” he also tweeted.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

Recent posts in National News