Home / National News / San Bernardino County Employees Returning to Work After Shooting

 

(SAN BERNARDINO, Calif.) — San Bernardino County employees are returning to work Monday as investigators try to establish what motivated the perpetrators of the deadly attack in San Bernardino last week, despite the increasing amount of rhetoric linking the husband and wife shooters to ISIS.

Employees of Environmental Health, where suspected gunman Syed Farook was an employee, won’t return to work until next Monday.

An increased security presence will be seen at “public health buildings throughout San Bernardino.”

The FBI is investigating the shooting, which left 14 people dead and 21 injured at the Inland Regional Center in California on Wednesday, but has not yet made a determination as to whether it was a terror attack, nor whether its perpetrators were in contact with members of ISIS or any other terror network.

Syed Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik, died in a shootout with police just hours after they shot dozens of Farook’s colleagues using two handguns, which Farook had legally purchased, and two “assault-style” weapons, believed to have been purchased by Farook’s former neighbor, Enrique Marquez, law enforcement sources told ABC News. Marquez is not considered a suspect in the shooting, the FBI has said.

Federal authorities told ABC News they are investigating whether Farook may have left behind social media connections with one of the most active and significant ISIS recruiters, an American from Minneapolis who uses the online handle “Miski.”

Mohamed Hasan — “Miski” — was earlier this year in direct contact with the two terrorists who attacked a Mohammed cartoon contest in Garland, Texas. He tweeted to his American followers that others should take up arms. Hasan is now an FBI fugitive living overseas.

But authorities say they increasingly believe that it was Malik, not her husband, who was the machinator of the attack.

Law enforcement officers returned to the home of a former neighbor Sunday, and left with a cardboard box but wouldn’t answer any questions.

Enrique Marquez Jr., Farook’s former neighbor, is believed to have purchased two of the guns used in the shooting, law enforcement sources told ABC News.

The FBI has said that Marquez is not considered a suspect in the shooting.

ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

Recent posts in National News