Home / National News / Arrest Made in Minneapolis 'Black Lives Matter' Protest Shooting

 

(MINNEAPOLIS) —  Minneapolis police have made an arrest in connection to the multiple shootings at a Black Lives Matter protest Monday night.

Police announced that a 23-year-old white male was arrested in relation to the shootings, but his name has not been released.

The individual has not yet been charged but his name will be released publicly when charges are filed, police said

Investigators are still looking for additional suspects, according to a police statement.

The FBI confirmed they are “coordinating with the Minneapolis Police Department and participating in a review of the incident to determine if further federal action is necessary,” according to a statement from FBI Minneapolis spokesman Kyle Loven.

A Facebook event page, hosted by the Minneapolis chapter of Black Lives Matter and promoting this afternoon’s planned protest, alleges that “4 White Supremacists shot 5 unarmed protesters” Monday night. There has been no independent confirmation that white supremacists were involved.

 ABC News made multiple attempts to contact Minneapolis police for comment on those accusations but received no immediate response.

Five people were shot at the Monday night protest outside Minneapolis’ 4th Police Precinct, which had been organized in response to a police shooting of Jamar Clark, a 24-year-old man who died Nov. 16. Police said that all of the injuries were non-life threatening.

Clark’s family released a statement early this morning calling for the planned protests to be canceled as a result of Monday night’s shooting, but there is still another protest scheduled for this afternoon.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

 

Recent posts in National News