(BREMERTON, Wash.) — A gas explosion Tuesday night at a motel in Bremerton, Washington, rocked the town across the bay from Seattle.
Firefighters, battled the flames for hours after the explosion shook homes in the area.
One gas company employee was critically injured in the explosion.
“[I was] having dinner, and I saw this black smoke and thought, ‘I wonder what that is,’ and we come back and looks like half our motel’s blown up,” Jeff Jackson, a man visiting from Australia, said.
Bremerton Police Chief Steve Strachan told ABC News Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV shortly after the blast that he’s never seen a gas explosion quite like this before.
“It’s not typical, and you don’t see this very often. So something, something went wrong, and again, we’re gonna work with the company as well as the fire department and try to find out exactly what happened,” Strachan said.
Strachan said the investigation will focus on exactly how “a relatively routine gas leak became a significant gas explosion.”
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News