(NEW ORLEANS) — The prisoner who shot and killed a police officer who was transporting him in New Orleans has reportedly been captured.
At a press conference on Sunday, police announced the end of the search for the suspect.
“An NOPD task force officer actually saw Travis Boys and apprehended him shortly before 9 am,” said New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison.
Harrison has previously described the 33-year-old as “apparently double jointed,” saying that he managed to move his hands from behind him in front, according to an interview with ABC News affiliate WGNO-TV.
After that, he climbed through an opening in the cage that separates the front and back of the car and allegedly shot Daryle Holloway.
The police SUV then crashed into a utility pole and Boys escaped, police said.
Harrison said that Holloway, a 22-year veteran and father of four, put up a fight and tried to keep Boys in the car but “succumbed to his injuries.”
“Our prayers and our condolences are with his family,” Harrison said. “I’ve known him for 22 years. I’ve worked with him in our early years and he was a personal friend of mine. Great police officer.”
The gunman, who had been arrested for assault, was still at large as of Saturday evening and a $10,000 reward was being offered for his capture.
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News