Home / National News / Freddie Gray Arrest: Cell Phone Video May Shed More Light on Case


(BALTIMORE) — Shaky cell phone video released on Wednesday may show officers with Freddie Gray during one of the stops made while the Baltimore man was in police custody after his arrest, according to a report.

The Baltimore Sun released the footage taken by an unidentified witness. The video appears to show police officers surrounding Gray, 25, as he is motionless outside a police van.

It is the latest of several videos that have emerged in the case.

Police took Gray into custody in Baltimore on April 12. An officer was heard telling dispatch at 8:40 a.m. that officers had one person in custody in the 1700 block of Presbury Street, two blocks south of North and Mount Streets, police said.

The cell phone footage takes place at the first stop officers made during Gray’s apprehension, at the corner of Mount and Baker streets, according to The Baltimore Sun. Multiple police are seen in the video, though it is not clear which of six officers arrested in the case are involved in this particular moment.

Reached for comment about the video, State Attorney’s Office Director of Communications Rochelle Ritchie said, “We have nothing to add at this point.”

Earlier this month, Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby said officers put flex cuffs on Gray’s wrists and leg cuffs on his legs before loading him “on his stomach, head first into the wagon.”

They did not secure him with a seat belt, she said, which is “contrary to a [Baltimore Police Department] order.”

The medical examiner’s office ruled Gray’s death was ruled a homicide by severe trauma by earlier this month.

Officers Caesar Goodson Jr., William Porter, Edward Nero and Garrett Miller, Lt. Brian Rice, and Sgt. Alicia Miller were arrested and charged in Gray’s death.

The officers have not yet entered pleas, according to White’s attorney, Ivan Bates, who had no comment on the new video other than saying he did not see White in it.

However, Michael Davey, an attorney hired by one of the officers who spoke on behalf of all six, said after charges were filed, “These officers will be vindicated because they have done nothing wrong.”

He added, “No officer injured Mr. Gray, caused harm to Mr. Gray, and [they] are truly saddened by his death.”

Gray sustained a spinal injury when he was in custody and required medical attention. He went into a coma several days later and died a week after his apprehension.

It remains unclear why Gray was taken into custody, with police only noting he ran away from officers.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Recent posts in National News