Home / National News / Baltimore Protests: Demonstrators Across Country Demand Justice for Freddie Gray


(NEW YORK) — Baltimore police said 18 people were arrested in protests Wednesday, as marchers took to the streets in New York, Boston, Minneapolis and other cities across the country demanding justice for Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died of a spinal injury apparently suffered in police custody.

More than 250 people have been arrested in Baltimore since Monday, when riots broke out after Gray’s funeral.

In response to the violence Monday night, city officials ordered a 10 p.m.-to-5 a.m. curfew, to extend through the rest of the week. Police said certain exceptions would be allowed, including for going to and from work and medical emergencies.

There were more demonstrations across the city Wednesday, and though police said they were mostly peaceful, 16 adults and two juveniles were arrested, police said.

Dozens of people marched, many wearing black T-shirts that said “Black Lives Matter” — which has become the slogan of a nationwide movement against overaggressive policing.

In New York City, a crowd of about 1,000 people left Union Square at 7:20 p.m. and started to march west towards 5th Avenue, but they only made it about half a block before police took a stand and ordered them to get on the sidewalk.

Those who refused started pushing and shoving with police officers. Several cops were injured in the ruckus and a couple dozen arrests were made. Later, the Holland Tunnel was shut down outbound as dozens of protesters converged at the entrance, which police blocked off.

Before the march, while the group was in Union Square, police handed out flyers and used loudspeakers to warn protesters that they would be arrested if they didn’t stay on the sidewalk.

In Baltimore, there were brief disturbances and objects thrown at police Tuesday night as the curfew went into effect, but police officials said earlier Wednesday they felt the curfew had been effective.

The curfews are to continue for one week, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said, and could be extended, as necessary. A 9 p.m. curfew was already in effect for children 14 and younger.

Some 2,000 National Guardsmen were deployed to the city after Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency.

The riots began Monday afternoon shortly after the funeral of Gray, and resulted in more than 250 arrests and injuries to at least 20 police officers Monday night into Tuesday. They began after a week of peaceful protests.

Public schools in Baltimore re-opened Wednesday after being closed Tuesday. The Baltimore Orioles and Chicago White Sox played, after games Monday and Tuesday were postponed, although Camden Yards was closed to spectators.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Recent posts in National News