(LOUISVILLE, Ky.) — A seven-alarm fire broke out at General Electric’s corporate campus in Louisville, Kentucky early Friday morning, shutting down production and destroying a warehouse for parts and supplies.
More than 200 firefighters were called in to battle the blaze, which created a column of thick black smoke visible for miles.
Residents within a half-mile radius of the fire were asked to shelter in place due to concerns over toxic fumes.
“A shelter in place has been ordered for a half mile radius around Appliance Park,” Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer said on Friday.
Chunks of ash and debris rained down in neighborhoods adjacent to the corporate campus.
No one at the warehouse was injured, according to officials, who added that most employees had Good Friday off.
The affected complex is where General Electric makes washing machines, dishwashers, fridges, and water heaters. The company said on Friday it is halting production for at least a week, while the facility cleans up and relocates.
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News