(LAS VEGAS) — The Las Vegas “road rage” victim’s family says it is returning its GoFundMe money after donors complained that the family had withheld key information about the deadly encounter.
Police revealed this week that Tammy Meyers and her armed son got in a car to look for the driver with whom she had a dispute last Thursday. She had been teaching her 15-year old daughter how to drive in the parking lot of a nearby school.
The fundraising page’s original post read, “The suspects followed Tammy and her daughter home and opened fire.”
But police revised the timeline to say that Meyers drove home and asked her daughter to tell her son Brandon Meyers, 22, to come to the car. When the mother and son returned home, police said, the suspect’s car pulled up. Gunfire erupted and Meyers was fatally wounded. She died Saturday at the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada.
Disgruntled donors criticized the fundraising page for not revealing that the mother and son had sought out the other car. Police are still looking for that driver.
“I’m reporting it to GoFundMe,” one GoFundMe user had posted. “So many lies from the family.”
The campaign had raised about $6,000, but the GoFundMe page is no longer available.
The victim’s family Wednesday confirmed to ABC News affiliate station KTNV in Las Vegas that Meyers’ husband posted a Facebook statement that read in part, “At this time I have shut down the GoFundMe account that I didn’t start, a friend did. Everyone will get donations returned. I never said anything different than told. If all you people think I was a fraud and lied about facts, I’m truly sorry. I only ever said what was told to me.”
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News