(WASHINGTON) — The commanding officer at Guantanamo Bay Naval Station was relieved of his command on Wednesday due to a “loss of confidence in [his] ability to command.”
In a press release, the Navy says that “due to an ongoing [Naval Criminal Investigative System] investigation, it is not appropriate for the Navy to provide additional details concerning the relief.” Capt. John Nettleton had assumed the commanding officer’s duties on June 29, 2012.
A U.S. official says that Nettleton was having an affair with a civilian woman on the base. That affair came to light during an investigation into the death of the woman’s husband, who was found dead in the waters of Guantanamo Bay earlier this month.
The Navy said that Nettleton was temporarily reassigned to the staff of the commander for Navy Region Southeast in Jacksonville, Fla. Capt. Scott Gray, the chief of staff to the Commander of the Navy Region Southeast, has taken over the role of acting commanding officer at Guantanamo Bay.
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Recent posts in National News