(FERGUSON, Mo.) — Saint Louis County Prosecutor Robert McCulloch released a statement on Thursday that leaks involving the case of an officer-involved shooting that left 18-year-old Michael Brown dead in August are not coming from the grand jury in the case.
“No information or evidence has been released by the grand jury,” McCulloch’s statement said. While he acknowledged a tweet from “several weeks ago” which claimed that a person serving on the grand jury had discussed the case with a friend, McCulloch says bluntly, “That did not happen.”
“An investigation revealed that the account had, indeed, been hacked and the origin/author of the tweet is unknown,” according to the statement.
McCulloch also denied recent reports that testimony and documents had been leaked “by or from the grand jury.” He pointed specifically to reports in The New York Times, which said it received information from a government source briefed on the case, and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which said the documents they obtained did not come from the grand jury.
“Whoever is releasing this information is doing great disservice to the grand jury process,” McCulloch concluded. Though he assured the public that “anyone suggesting that the ‘integrity of the entire grand jury process has been destroyed’ is wrong, irresponsible and does a great disservice to the public.”
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Recent posts in National News