Home / National News / WATCH: Utah Woman Spits Out Toxic Tea in Surveillance Footage


(SOUTH JORDAN, Utah) — Newly released surveillance video shows the moment a Utah woman was nearly killed when she drank a poisoned cup of tea.

In the video, Jan Harding, 67, can be seen taking a single sip from a cup of iced tea she poured out of a self-serve machine at Dickey’s Barbeque, a restaurant in South Jordan, Utah.

Harding’s iced tea was laced with lye, an odorless chemical that looks like sugar, is used for degreasing deep fryers and is the active ingredient in Drano.

In the video taken on Aug. 10, Harding immediately spits out the drink and rinses out her mouth. She braces herself against the counter until restaurant staff arrive.

The chemical seared through Harding’s esophagus, leaving deep, ulcerated burns. She was hospitalized for two weeks.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Recent posts in National News