(HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif.) — A teenager was arrested on Saturday after he allegedly made threats of violence in advance of the U.S. Open of Surfing.
The U.S. Open of Surfing is the world’s largest surf event, with officials telling ABC’s Los Angeles affiliate KABC-TV that they expect about 500,000 people to attend the nine-day event. Lt. Mitch O’Brien of the Huntington Beach Police Department said that a search warrant was served and the 16-year-old was placed under arrest.
Last year’s event was marred by looting and fighting. O’Brien warned attendees that security is going to crack down on bad behavior this year. “If you want to come down and watch surfing, we’re going to welcome you. If you want to come down here and try to repeat last year, we’re going to identify you as quick as we can and send you home.”
KABC said a shotgun and a handgun were found at the teenager’s home.
Follow @ABCNewsRadio Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
Recent posts in National News