Home / National News / Teen Killed in Loud Music Dispute 'Didn't Stand a Chance'


(JACKSONVILLE, Fla.) — Jordan Davis, the unarmed teenager who was fatally shot over a dispute about loud music “didn’t stand a chance,” prosecutors said during closing arguments in the Michael Dunn trial.

Dunn, 47, is charged with fatally shooting Davis, 17, in the parking lot of a Jacksonville convenience store on Nov. 23, 2012, after an argument over loud music.

Assistant State Attorney Erin Wolfson told jurors that Dunn “fired round after round after round” at Davis and his friends. She said Davis was inside the SUV when he was killed. Dunn claims the teen exited the vehicle.

“It was target practice for this defendant. They had nowhere to go, nowhere to hide,” Wolfson said.

She showed jurors photos of the bullet-ridden red SUV, where she said Davis was sitting in the backseat when he was fatally hit with three bullets.

It wasn’t until later that evening that Dunn said he learned one of the teens had died.

After the shooting, Dunn left the scene and returned to his hotel room with his fiancee, Rhonda Rouer, where they ordered a pizza and spent the night.

The video of Dunn’s interrogation with investigators, taken on Nov. 24, 2012, was played for the jury on Tuesday.

Dunn told police in the video that he was at the hotel, “sh—ing bricks, waiting for another carload of thugs to come. I’ve never been so scared in my life.”

Dunn testified in his defense on Tuesday about the fateful stop he and Rouer made at the convenience store on the way back to their hotel from his son’s wedding reception.

He parked next to a red SUV where Davis and his friends were sitting and listening to music, while Rouer went inside to buy white wine and chips.

“There was music and then it got really loud,” Dunn said. “Body panels on the SUV were rattling, [the] rearview mirror was shaking, my ear drums were vibrating. …This was ridiculously loud music.”

Dunn said he politely asked Davis and his friends to turn down the music. One of Davis’ friends lowered the volume, however Dunn claimed the music was then turned back up. Dunn said he heard a teen yelling over the thumping base.

“I hear, ‘I should kill that motherf—-r.’ I’m flabbergasted. I must not be hearing this right,” Dunn said.

He said he rolled down his window and tried to calm down the situation. At that point, Dunn said the teen in the backseat reached down and pointed what he said appeared to be four inches of the barrel of a gun at him.

Dunn said Davis then opened the car door and said, “You’re dead, b—-.”

“I thought he was coming to kill me. I thought he was coming to beat me,” Dunn said. He said he did not see what he believed to be a shotgun anymore.

“What went through my mind is, ‘This was a clear and present danger,'” Dunn said. “I said, ‘You’re not going to kill me you son of a b—-.”

At that point, Dunn, who had a concealed weapons permit, retrieved his pistol from his glove box and fired. According to a police affidavit, nine bullet holes were found on the SUV.

Dunn and his fiancee left their hotel the next morning and went home to Brevard County where Dunn was arrested.

Jury deliberations could begin as early as this afternoon. If convicted, Dunn faces up to life in prison.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Recent posts in National News