Home / National News / FSU's Jameis Winston to Be 'More Mature' After Sex Assault Case


(NEW YORK) — Florida State University’s star quarterback Jameis Winston said his recently-dismissed sexual assault case has taught him that he needs to be “more mature.”

Two days after prosecutors decided not to press charges against him in a sexual assault case, Winston threw three touchdown passes and ran for a score as Florida State stormed into the title game with a 45-7 victory over Duke Saturday night in the ACC championship game.

While basking in his team’s undefeated season, the 19-year-old Heisman Trophy front-runner made his first comments regarding the sexual assault case.

When asked what he learned from the investigation, Winston told ESPN, “I learned I got to get more mature. I got to get better at everything I do.”

Winston, who has been named the ACC’s Player of the Year, said he was grateful for the support of head coach Jimbo Fisher during the investigation.

“I love him. I love him. That is how you have a successful team, that’s how you do what we did today.  We are trying to make history. We got to keep going,” Winston said minutes after the game.

On the fourth question about the investigation, Winston was done talking. When ESPN asked Winston why he chose not to talk during the process, the quarterback turned his back and his media handlers whisked him away.

With the cloud removed from over Winston’s head, the rookie quarterback can now focus on the team’s most crucial point of the season.  The undefeated Seminoles are on their way to the BCS National Championship game in Pasadena, Calif., on Jan. 6.

The Heisman Trophy ballots are due to be handed in on Monday and the award will be given on Dec. 14 in New York City.

The alleged rape took place in a Tallahassee apartment on Dec. 7, 2012, according to a heavily redacted police report. However, the case did not reach prosecutors until last month. Winston’s attorney acknowledged his client had sex with his accuser, but insists it was consensual.

State Attorney Willie Meggs said Thursday there was not enough evidence to win a conviction against Winston, mostly because there were too many gaps in his accuser’s story.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio


Recent posts in National News