Home / National News / Prosecutor Calls the Late Ariel Castro a 'Degenerate Molester'


(ORIENT, Ohio) — Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty showed little sympathy for Ariel Castro after his jail suicide Tuesday.

Castro, 53, was found hanging in his cell at Correctional Reception Center in Orient, Ohio and later declared dead. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole last August 1 for kidnapping, torturing and imprisoning three young women for over a decade in his Ohio home.

Castro’s death has not elicited any public mourning nor should it, according to McGinty, who said in a statement, “These degenerate molesters are cowards. They con and capture vulnerable children. This man couldn’t take, for even a month, a small portion of what he had dished out for more than a decade.”

For good measure, McGinty added, “Let this be a message to other child kidnappers: There will be a heavy price to pay when you are caught. You won’t enjoy the captive side of the bars.”

Meanwhile, a public relations company that has represented Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus said that Castro’s former captives will not be commenting on the matter. DeJesus’ brother told ABC News that his family was aware of Castro’s death and are all doing okay so far.

Castro’s attorney Jaye Schlachet also told ABC News’ Cleveland affiliate WEWS-TV that the defense team had been continually denied a request for a forensic psychologist to evaluate Castro when he was in the county jail and the state’s prison reception center.

Castro was not on a suicide watch, which would have required constant observation. Autopsy results showed that the death was a suicide by hanging, Franklin County coroner Dr. Jan Gorniak told ABC News on Wednesday.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio


Recent posts in National News