(SANFORD, Fla.) — The Florida judge presiding over George Zimmerman’s murder trial reversed herself Thursday and announced that the jurors will be sequestered for the trial.
“The parties have, both sides have, stipulated that this trial will last between two and four weeks,” Judge Debra Nelson said. “Based upon that approximate stipulation, I will be sequestering the jury.”
Earlier the judge had ruled that the six-member jury and four alternates would be anonymous, but declined to have them sequestered.
In February 2012, Zimmerman, a neighborhood watchman in Sanford, Fla., shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin after a confrontation in the dark. Zimmerman has said he shot the black teen, who he said had been acting “suspiciously,” in self-defense.
The racially charged case has attracted national attention.
In four days of jury selection at least 20 jurors are in the potential jury pool and more than 75 have been dismissed. Lawyers on both sides are trying to find 30 potential jurors before they begin a more intense question-and-answer session known as voire dire.
Both sides are wary of potential “moles,” individuals who say they know little about the case that made national headlines because they are eager to be picked.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
Recent posts in National News