Home / National News / Boston Bombings: Mystery ‘Man on the Roof’ Image Goes Viral


(BOSTON) — Photos taken of the Boston Marathon explosion carnage showed images of smeared blood on the sidewalk, blown out windows and bystanders rushing to aid multiple people who had lost limbs and suffered other severe injuries.

But amid the chaos of what some described as a “war zone,” images also emerged on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other social media that sent speculation and conspiracy theories flying.

One of the most talked about photos, which was taken by a spectator, captured a mysterious figure walking on top of a building near the finish line, prompting thousands of users to ask about the “man on the roof.”

College student Dan Lampariello told ABC News he was taking photos along the race sidelines when he happened to capture the moment one of the bombs exploded.

“I was about 200 feet from the finish line … right in front of the Mandarin Hotel. My aunt was actually running in the marathon. We were out there to cheer her on,” Lamperiello said Monday. “We thought maybe it was fireworks at first, but when we saw the second explosion we definitely knew that something was wrong.”

Unfortunately your browser does not support IFrames.

But his original picture also showed the unidentified person walking on the roof of a building near the site of the second bomb explosion, which launched a debate on Twitter over whether the mystery person was involved.

At around 3 p.m. Monday, two bombs were set off near the finish line of the Boston Marathon. At least three people are dead and at least 176 people, including 10 children, were injured in the bombing, according to the latest ABC News count. At least 17 people are in critical condition.

Boston police told ABC News the “man on the roof” photograph was being sent to the FBI for analysis, like all the other photos from the incident, but was getting no more priority than others and did not raise any undue suspicion.

Boston Police said Tuesday morning they still have no suspects in custody and are continuing to interview witnesses. Federal officials said at a press conference they believe there is no longer an “imminent threat” in the area.

FBI special agent in charge Richard DesLauriers said investigators had already received “voluminous” tips and were “logically” following up on leads.

Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio


Recent posts in National News