(AURORA, Colo.) — The residents of Aurora, Colo., will have a difficult time facing suspected movie theater shooter James Holmes when he makes his first court appearance on Monday, Police Chief Daniel Oates said.
“He has harmed so many people,” Oates said. “Not only the victims, but all of their extended families. So I think it will be very hard.”
Holmes allegedly left 12 people dead and 58 injured during last week’s premiere of The Dark Knight Rises.
Oates also told ABC News that Holmes’ parents have remained silent.
“They’re not taking to us right now,” he said. “Maybe that will change, but right now they are not talking to us.”
The suspect will be brought to court from his jail cell at Arapahoe County Jail through an underground tunnel. Many people are likely to study his face, demeanor and his dyed hair.
Holmes, 24, is likely facing multiple counts of first-degree murder and attempted murder. Monday’s appearance is a scheduled hearing to tell him why he is being held.
The court appearance is expected to be brief and will start the clock on the 72-hour deadline for the district attorney to file formal charges at an arraignment where Holmes will enter his plea.
The police chief told ABC News that his team is getting significant help from the FBI’s behavioral analysts in trying to figure out what could have changed Holmes from a promising young student to a suspect in one of the largest mass shootings in U.S. history.
Copyright 2012 ABC News Radio
Recent posts in National News